Carbon Trust (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Associate, Offshore Wind
Contract Term: Permanent
Location: London, Cardiff or Edinburgh
Closing date: 17th February 2021
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and bright individual to join the Carbon Trust, and strengthen our research and development programmes in offshore wind. If you have good project management skills as well as technical knowledge, especially with regards to offshore wind structural engineering or similar expertise, and an interest in helping develop the latest innovations in offshore wind technology, then we would like to hear from you.
The Carbon Trust’s Offshore Wind Team works with government and large corporate clients in the UK and internationally to help bring offshore wind technologies to market quicker, cheaper and at a greater scale. We manage world renowned and impactful research and development programmes that look to drive down the cost of low carbon technologies, such as the Offshore Wind Accelerator (OWA) and the Floating Wind Joint Industry Programme (FLWJIP). Research and development areas we cover within the Offshore Wind Team for fixed and floating include:
– Fixed foundations and floating structures
– Cables and cable installation
– Electrical Systems
– Logistics and O&M
– Mooring systems for floating wind
– Energy Yield and Performance
– Integration of offshore wind into the energy systems
– Consenting and environmental impact of offshore wind
The Carbon Trust’s mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Research and development strategy and management
o Organise and support the technical research of one or more areas listed above
o Support the technical working group to identify research challenges and scope projects to address these
o Work closely with the Carbon Trust Programme Manager, who is responsible for the respective Joint Industry Programme, to coordinate overall activities
o Work closely with wider industry, liaising with manufacturers, innovators, transmission system operators, to understand challenges and how our Joint Industry Programmes can support innovations to market
o Develop strong relationships with universities and other research agencies to support collaboration
o Get involved in the delivery of other research projects or consultancy work. This could also involve work in Carbon Trust’s ‘Energy Systems’ Team
• Programme management
o Oversee the delivery of a number of research projects
– Supporting one or more of our Joint Industry Programmes in the management and execution of research projects – including milestone tracking, managing decisions timetable
– Regularly updating project plans and financial tracking tools
– Collating and delivering research updates for senior partners and for other key meetings
– Coordinating activities with the Carbon Trust Programme Manager.
o Contract management
– Ensure all third-party contractors selected for work are performing as expected, on budget and on time, and managing their payments and invoices as appropriate
– Support negotiations of contracts with Consultants and coordinate with Carbon Trust’s legal team to ensure they comply with our contracting guidelines.
o Financial processing
– Support the management of project finances including budgeting and forecasting, invoicing, reporting and risk management
– Assist on procuring and contracting technical services – including managing tender evaluation processes (involving the partners in the Joint Industry Programme), negotiating costs, and negotiating Terms & Conditions in collaboration with Carbon Trust’s legal team
• Stakeholder management
o Ensure effective interaction within and between the different Research Areas in the Carbon Trust
o Coordinate press and marketing releases relating to projects, working closely with the internal marketing teams and partner’s teams to maximise press coverage of key updates
o Managing and maintaining all external facing information sharing including websites, press releases, and internal sites
o Representing the Carbon Trust at Partner meetings
o Present at key industry conferences
o General programme management support and the gathering & presentation of management information in support of the Joint Industry programme(s)
• Offshore wind advisory
o Support the wider advisory work we deliver within the offshore wind team, which could include projects from Asia to Latin America and the USA, and topics from supply chain development to grid integration.
Key skills we are looking for:
• Technical knowledge
o Background in structural engineering preferred
• Project management
o Delivering multi-stakeholder projects either in a leading role or as part of a wider team
• Technical project delivery
o Delivering technical outputs, either for external clients or in-house to achieve clear goals ideally within an offshore wind (or related) context
• Offshore wind development
o Working with a range of stakeholders to support offshore wind development, or a related industry
Qualifications and experience:
• Experience in the offshore wind, or related, industry is strongly preferred
• Degree educated (or equivalent), preferably in engineering or science subject, or in another subject backed up with relevant experience
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please click the apply button and submit your CV and a cover letter.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
Please be aware that due to the current situation surrounding Covid-19, interviewing and onboarding processes will take place via video conferencing.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS