Join us as a Construction Cost Estimate Manager with EDF Energy
(London, 6 month contract)
At Capita, we support clients across a range of sectors, including local Government, central Government, education, transport, health, life and pensions, insurance and other private sector organisations. We support with expertise applied by the talent across our business in combination with technology, insight and analytics to keep our clients ahead of change, sharper than competitors and more efficient than ever – and we always need new talent to help us achieve our goals.
About EDF Energy
We want to bring affordable, low-carbon energy to everyone and to do that requires both sharp minds and smart ideas to help shape the UK’s energy future. With the development of a new nuclear power station on the horizon, our goal is to become the best and most trusted energy supplier for our customers, through a combination of trust, transparency and teamwork.
Sizewell C (SZC) is a proposed new nuclear station that is being developed with a target to take Final Investment Decision in 2022. Providing 7% of the UK’s current demand with reliable low carbon electricity, the SZC project will have a big impact in the drive to reduce carbon emissions in the UK.
The SZC Project Team is a growing, diverse and collaborative organisation committed to engaging stakeholders, obtaining development consent and preparing the project for the start of construction.
The role is to manage the central estimating function, within the SZC Finance Directorate. Developing a robust cost estimate for the construction of SZC is critical to supporting the case being made for SZC to the UK Government and investors. As a ‘second of a kind’ project, SZC will be a copy of the new nuclear plant currently being built by EDF and CGN at Hinkley Point C (HPC) and has a unique opportunity to leverage the experience built there in order to bring cost savings.
The role holder will report to the Baseline Coordinator, within a team that also includes sub-teams for risk analysis, schedule scenarios and lessons learned. The Baseline Coordination team is the single source of truth for baseline information in the SZC project and in engagement with external stakeholders (HMG, potential investors and the economic regulator). The team has a very strong link with the Project Delivery Teams and Project Controls, where the detailed inputs to the baseline are developed.
The Construction Cost Estimate Team is responsible for:
· Coordinating the development of the total cost of construction (including owners cost) and associated deliverables
· Ensuring alignment of assumptions and approach across teams for cost, schedule and risk
· Providing assurance to the SZC Executive Team the assurance for the scope, the uncertainties and the auditability of progressive versions of the cost estimates.
The team is made up of 5 – 6 estimating and finance professionals. Team members are assigned to project scope areas and work in close collaboration with the multi-disciplinary delivery teams to coordinate the estimate deliverables for those scope areas.
Leading an efficient and agile team of estimating and finance professionals, the role holder is required to:
· Set the Estimate Plan for the period to FID, identifying appropriate estimate versions based on:
o Availability of key inputs including agreement of major contractual arrangements and development of the design
o Anticipated timeline for engagement with HMG, ratings agencies and investors
· Lead and coordinate the preparation of the required estimate updates in accordance with the project plan, working in close collaboration with the delivery teams (including project managers, supply chain leads, project controls and programme directors) with a focus on demonstrable cost savings and lessons learned from HPC.
· Implement best practice processes, methods, and tools to ensure the cost estimate is controlled, robust and fully auditable (aligned to IPA cost estimating guidance published in March 2021).
· Maintain the consolidated cost estimate as a single source of truth for the project
· Work with peers to ensure consistency and coherence between cost, schedule and risk.
· Support engagement with HMG and other external stakeholders with cost analysis, scenario planning and presentations as required.
· Maintain strong working relationships with counterparts within the Hinkley Point C project teams
· Manage the ongoing development of the project cost estimate in the post-FID delivery phase.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
· Strong experience of applying cost estimating best practice in mega projects
· Experience of being subject to audit, government and/or vendor due diligence processes
· Experience of team management in a dynamic project environment
· Proven ability to build effective working level relationships across functions and at all levels
· Excellent communication, presentation, influencing and facilitation skills. Experience in successfully engaging and communicating with internal and external stakeholders (including ‘non-expert’ audiences)
· High attention to detail
· Strong organisation skills, ability to prioritise effectively and respond to changing requirements with flexibility
· Strong academic record, to degree level or equivalent with a strong emphasis on a quantitative or numerate discipline
· Able to demonstrate strong management skills including project management, financial management, change management and facilitation. Proficient in the use of estimating scheduling, programming and risk tools.
· Knowledge and experience of a Nuclear Power Plant project.