Carbon Trust (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Energy Consultant, Cities and Regions
Contract Term: Permanent
Location: London, Edinburgh or Cardiff, with travel to the UK; possibly some international travel (infrequent)
Closing date: 9th June 2021
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
Our busy and dynamic Cities and Regions team is growing and consequently we are seeking an experienced Energy Consultant with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
• Non-domestic energy efficiency;
• Low carbon heat;
• Renewable energy (building-integrated or land based);
• Low carbon vehicles / transport.
Other desirable areas of expertise include business case development and procurement for energy projects, carbon footprinting, net zero strategy and action planning, domestic energy efficiency and public sector decarbonisation.
This role will advise and support public sector clients to develop ambitious and impactful energy and carbon reduction projects, manage client relationships with multiple organisations and support Carbon Trust business development, bid writing and project work on the transition to a sustainable, net-zero carbon economy, in the UK and internationally.
This role would suit professionals with experience in energy or climate change consultancy, a background in science or engineering and experience in project management. The role requires strong communication skills and client engagement experience.
The Carbon Trust’s mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Activities will be client-led, meaning the role is dynamic and varied. The range of activities over time is likely to include many of the following:
• Deliver high quality consultancy services on energy efficiency, low carbon heat, renewable energy, and/or low carbon vehicles, in particular to public sector clients;
• Develop, manage and maintain excellent client relationships; establish clients’ drivers and needs in relation to the low carbon and local energy agenda, in order to inform and influence strategic energy activities;
• Working with clients to manage decarbonisation projects across key stages of project development, including:
o Identifying new opportunities, including through data analysis and undertaking energy surveys and technical assessments of buildings, estates and asset reviews;
o Undertaking feasibility studies of decarbonisation opportunities such as insulation, heat pumps, building services upgrades, renewable generation (solar PV, wind), and electric vehicle infrastructure;
o Providing targeted advice and support during procurement and installation, including for energy performance contract projects;
o Undertaking measurement and verification post-implementation to verify savings;
• Identify new and innovative decarbonisation opportunities, to build a multi-year pipeline of projects for clients;
• Support clients to develop business cases and tender specifications;
• Undertake carbon footprinting activity in accordance with the GHG Protocol, utilising Carbon Trust tools and templates;
• Deliver and support net zero strategy and action planning projects, including undertaking net zero pathway analysis, target setting, and opportunity identification, as well as supporting public sector clients in developing strategic aims and commitments and defining longer term governance arrangements;
• Support Carbon Trust business development activities and revenue generation.
Key skills we are looking for:
• Organised and efficient, with excellent project management and project delivery skills;
• Excellent client management skills, applying a high standard of interpersonal skills to build client relationships and influence stakeholders;
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral), with the ability to present technical information in a clear and concise format, suitable for non-specialists;
• Excellent problem-solving skills;
• Highly numerate with good Microsoft Excel skills;
• Ability to lead client meetings and workshop sessions;
• Ability to work effectively in a complex team environment and to take initiative and deliver projects independently when required.
Qualifications and experience:
• Degree (or equivalent) calibre – qualified in a relevant energy, engineering and/or science discipline;
• Significant work experience as an energy consultant / project manager;
• Significant experience of providing consultancy services on energy efficiency in the built environment, renewable energy, and/or low carbon transport topics;
• Ability to build and manipulate energy models using Microsoft Excel, and develop technical reports / business cases in Microsoft Word / PowerPoint;
• Ability to communicate technical information fluently (both written and spoken) in English.
• Membership of a relevant professional institution e.g. CIBSE, Energy Institute;
• Experience of, or significant insight into, barriers and drivers affecting public and private sector bodies in tackling climate change;
• Insight into carbon and energy policy in the UK and internationally;
• Ability to identify and support business development opportunities;
Understanding of and support for the Carbon Trust’s mission is considered an essential pre-requisite for this role.
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please click the apply button to visit our application page and submit your CV and a cover letter.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
Please be aware that due to the current situation surrounding Covid-19, interviewing and onboarding processes will take place via video conferencing.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS