Contract Term: Permanent
Location: London (with some travel within the UK and internationally)
Closing date: 17th February 2021
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
We are looking for a motivated individual to join the Carbon Trust as an Incubation Associate or Manager to strengthen our breadth of expertise and help to deliver our incubation and acceleration activities.
This exciting role offers unparalleled exposure to a diverse portfolio of leading start-up companies and opportunities to help transform their commercialisation prospects. It will also involve helping to develop and grow our incubation and acceleration proposition. We envisage that the role will be based in London and will require some travel both across the UK and internationally.
The Carbon Trust’s mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Managing our relationships with a diverse portfolio of start-up and early stage clean technology ventures
• Advising portfolio companies on their development and growth including by providing support on: coaching and mentoring, market research and prioritisation, sales and business planning, business models and strategy, supply chain and operations, investment readiness, and team development and growth
• Diagnosing commercialisation gaps and key commercial and technical milestones to help identify and prioritise incubation and acceleration support
• Collaborating with partners in the delivery of multi-disciplinary low carbon incubation and acceleration support projects
• Project management of a portfolio of incubation and acceleration projects involving multi-disciplinary teams
• Developing and maintaining relationships with clients, attending and running meetings, workshops and seminars
• Support in the preparation of technical bids and fee proposals for incubation and acceleration support for public and private clients
• Other duties associated with the Carbon Trust’s mission will be requested on an ad hoc basis
Key skills we are looking for:
• Excellent interpersonal, influencing, and relationship development skills to engage effectively with start-up management teams, technologists, and their potential customers and partners
• Demonstrated interest in, and ideally experience of, working in a start-up environment and/or of launching and growing new businesses
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to lead and run workshop sessions, present to small and large audiences, and write high quality reports
• Ability to solve complex problems and respond to the evolving needs and requirements of clients and portfolio companies
• Understanding of climate change and sustainability issues and the role that innovative ventures can play in accelerating progress towards climate change targets and sustainable development goals
Qualifications and experience:
• Strong experience of delivering strategy and business advisory services including incubation and acceleration support, ideally with experience in the UK and/or Europe and clean tech markets
• Degree educated (or equivalent) ideally in a quantitative discipline (e.g. engineering, science, economics, finance and business administration)
• Experience of managing multiple projects simultaneously and managing work efficiently including coordinating deliverables and meeting deadlines
• Postgraduate qualification focusing on the environment, business, economics, technology or sustainability
• Market analysis, business model and proposition development experience
• Experience of helping secure investment for, or investing in, early stage companies
• Knowledge/experience of clean technology sectors, including commercial innovation and the transition to a net zero economy
• Knowledge/experience of commercialising products and innovations, including intellectual property issues
• Knowledge/experience of developing gender diversity and social inclusion strategies and support
• Robust programme and project management and development experience
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please click the apply button and submit your CV and a cover letter.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
Please be aware that due to the current situation surrounding Covid-19, interviewing and onboarding processes will take place via video conferencing.