We Mean Business Coalition
Managing Director of Communications
LOCATION: REMOTE – LONDON, UK OR GENEVA, CHREPORTS TO: CEOHOURS PER WEEK (AVERAGE): FULL TIMEOVERTIME STATUS: EXEMPT
We Mean Business (WMB) is a global coalition of nonprofit organizations, working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. We are working to transform the world economy so that it is on track to limit global warming to 1.5°C in ways that deliver sustainable economic growth and shared prosperity. Through unprecedented collaboration, we catalyze business action and drive ambitious policy to halve emissions by 2030 and accelerate an inclusive transition to a net-zero economy by 2050, at the latest.
Strategic communications is core to driving the success of the coalition. The secretariat’s communications team deploys leading edge communications tactics and strategy to deliver on the coalition’s overarching goals. As a key member of the We Mean Business secretariat, the Managing Director of Communications is responsible for developing and implementing the coalition’s communications strategy, driving the coalition’s overall communications work, ensuring it serves the coalition’s overarching goals and mission. Primarily focused on external communications, this is a strategic role, requiring laser focus on landing the right message, at the right time, to the right audience using the right tactics.
This position can be located in London or Geneva and sits within the We Mean Business coalition’s secretariat, and is part of the Management Team, reporting to the CEO. It requires management of the communications team, relationships with coalition partners, a substantial budget and external agencies.
The communications managing director is an important part of developing our long term strategy for the coalition overall, providing key leadership on the communications strategy. This person, leading the communications team, will develop and implement communications, marketing, media and digital strategies that support the delivery of the coalition’s overall strategy. The communications managing director is also responsible for working with the communications teams across the coalition toto ensure they are fully behind the coalition communications strategy and stand ready to support its implementation.
• Conceive, design and deliver partner-wide communications campaigns (e.g. Better Future Faster) and products (e.g. Mas Rapido, Climate Leadership Now) that support the coalition to shift the narrative on business and climate change.• Deploy secretariat communications to play a catalytic role in the delivery of the coalition’s goals to transform systems, alongside the secretariat’s managing director of systems transformation. Provide strategic communications to encourage business to take bold climate action alongside the secretariat’s net-zero director.
Partnerships & collaboration
• Ensure the communications team collaborates across the secretariat to build the coalition’s bench of corporate spokespeople.• Lead the coalition’s Communications Working Group, hosting regular calls and ensuring strong community management that enables collaboration between partners.• Cultivate strong 1:1 relationships between secretariat communications team and partner communications teams.• Identify opportunities to provide partners’ communications teams with additional capacity and resource to multiply the impact of aligned communications campaigns.• Maintain relationships, and where appropriate, work closely with key climate communications networks including Climate Nexus, GSCC and the Croissant Conspiracy.• Ensure close collaboration with communications leads at UNFCCC, ECIU and other key influencers in the climate community. Ensure the communications team maintains strong relationships with both print and digital media.
Branding, messaging & marketing
• Provide key messaging and briefings to partners, corporate bench and secretariat spokespeople in advance of key events to ensure powerful and consistent delivery.• Act as brand-guardian for We Mean Business: creating, enhancing and protecting the coalition’s branding and messaging.• Ensure consistent consideration for issues that may impact on the coalition’s reputation.• Provide branding, messaging, media and digital strategy for key events.Work with fundraising and corporate engagement teams (and others as appropriate) to deliver materials, messaging and narratives that support outreach.
• Work closely with the secretariat’s operations team to deliver detailed reporting to our philanthropic partners, demonstrating the overall impact of the communications strategy. Ensure clear goals and KPIs for communications channels and monitor effectively to continuously improve reach and engagement.
• Management Team: Serve on the senior management team of the Secretariat and contribute to the development and execution of the coalition’s overarching strategy.• Regranting: Work with other members of the senior management team on the secretariat’s regranting function, providing insights on communications that is integrated into the grants the coalition makes for programmatic work.• Communications team: Lead and manage the secretariat communications team; cultivate a high-performing team with leading-edge assets & skill sets.• Budget: Manage the communications budget and the use of external resources. (Including creative & communications agencies, designers and other external contractors).• Internal communications: coordinate internal communications in collaboration with the management team.• Brief the Board and partners on communications strategy, insights and ensure follow through as needed.
Experience & Education
• years experience working in non-profit, agency, media, business or government in strategic communications roles. With a preference for experience in climate change communications.• Demonstrable experience delivering high-profile, impactful strategic communications campaigns.• Demonstrated ability to manage, develop and inspire a high-performing team of direct reports.• Excellent writing and public speaking skills.• Proven ability to work collaboratively and build relationships and networks with diverse groups and individuals.• Fluent English required (and is our main language used), other language skills are a plus.
• Masters or other advanced degree preferred. Diversity at WMB
We Mean Business is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We are a project of the New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF and WMB are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working. To Apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample and availability to – – with subject line Managing Director of Communications – YOUR NAME.
CLOSING DATE – 28TH FEBRUARY 2021