Feltham, London, TW13 7AH
About the job
Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique.
Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is passionate about ensuring that we are a top performing organisation and a great place to work with a diverse range of talent. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer and creating a culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work and individuality is truly appreciated.
DIO is a workplace where everyone feels valued and supported enabling our people to flourish, bring greater creativity and innovation to achieve higher organisational performance. We aim to develop and support staff to meet the Department’s objectives, and to fulfil their own potential.
We promote and support a range of flexible working patterns enabling staff to balance home and work responsibilities and we treat people fairly irrespective of their background.
This culture of inclusion is underpinned by our 6 staff networks covering Disability, Faith and Belief, Gender Equality, LGBTQI+, Race, Social Mobility and 3 networks dealing with employee wellbeing and support: Speak Safe Volunteers, Mental Health First Aiders and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Advisers.
Our staff, future and current will be guided by the 4 C’s and we encourage you to be curious and continuously strive for improvement, collaborative in an inclusive culture, bold and resilient and committed to Defence, empowered and able to challenge so you can play a key part in shaping the direction of our organisation.
DIO commits to offer its employees the following experience:
• Meaningful, purposeful work
• The ability to learn and grow
• The right opportunities and resources
• To care about your wellbeing
• To feel valued and included
Do you have what it takes to be part of our Gold Standard security service?
MGS holds the National Security Inspectorate Gold Standard and is passionate about delivering great things for its customers and workforce. It also has Customer Service Excellence accreditation and holds the Committed to Equality Gold Standard.
In the MGS, a guard is known as a Civilian Security Officer 5 (CSO5). A Supervisor is known as a Civilian Security Officer 4 (CSO4). They are managed by an Operations Manager who may be responsible for staff on a single site or a group of sites.
See more about our Security Officer role on YouTube
Security Officers are responsible for providing, or supervising the provision of, an overt unarmed security presence. They will be responsible for delivery of the service to the highest standards in accordance with current MOD, DIO/MGS and Establishments policies, processes and instructions and site Post Instructions.
The key duties of a Supervisor (CSO4) are as follows. Please note that these duties can vary from site to site.
• Supervise all Security Officers on shift at the Unit, deploying them to cover tasks as laid out in Assignment Instructions and in accordance with the Joint Business Agreement/GSSOR
• Supervise Security Officers to protect people, property, information, and assets from damage, destruction, or unauthorised removal from the Unit.
• Supervise the protection of premises against unauthorised access, damage or perceived threat, and unwanted egress and ingress
• Operate security systems in line with standard operating procedures
• Align assigned team(s) of Security Officers to protect property or information against compromise, destruction, or damage, maintaining integrity of performance through effective management, fostering a positive and inclusive working environment, addressing concerns in a timely and sensitive manner
• Respond appropriately to security concerns raised, including by third parties, and work with the first responder to incidents
• Where required, cover CSO5 Guarding tasks including providing meal break relief.
• Daily Supervision and admin of the Roster, as delegated by the OM, managing the administration of abstractions and keeping the OM appraised on any issues with the rosters or general operations at the Unit.
• If located within a reasonable travelling distance of other MGS Units then the Supervisor will visit these Units at a frequency agreed with the Operations Manager to provide Supervisory support and visit Staff and customers accordingly.
• Writing reports on breaches of security or defects and maintaining daily logs
• Referral of complaints
• Supervising and Operating and monitoring of security systems; CCTV and alarms etc
• Operating and communicating effectively over the telephone and/or radio
• Liaise with Unit HOEs and Customer representatives and other Security providers to ensure a high-quality Security service is provided. Building positive relationships with all stakeholders.
• Assist the Operational Manager in ensuring that the Unit is compliant with NSI and all documents, policies and processes are kept up to date.
• Undertake relevant MGS Training including the Supervisors Course and Level 2 Supervising Staff Safely
• Other tasks commensurate with the grade
Desirable Experience & Skills
A background, qualification or demonstrable interest in the delivery of site security and/or customer service will be an advantage.
Where close area working arrangements are in place staff may be required to attend other sites within their travel to work area (one hour from their home) on a detached duty basis.
Some supervisor roles may cover more than one site and require routine travel using official vehicles.
About our Team
MGS is part of DIO which plays a vital role in supporting Defence by leading and managing the delivery of what the Armed Forces need to live, work, train and deploy on operations. Under the Future DIO Transformation Programme, DIO will become the MOD’s professional estate services business and realise our organisational vision of providing a better estate, a better service and a better business. See more on Defence Infrastructure Organisation – GOV.UK
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application