Lexington, KY, USA
The Arboretum, State Botanical Garden of Kentucky is a 100 acre greenspace located in the south section of The University of Kentucky campus. Our signature collection is the Walk Across Kentucky (WAKY), a representation of native plants and ecosystems showcasing the natural diversity of Kentucky, from the banks of the Mississippi River to the summit of the Cumberland Mountains.
The Native Plants Intern will work with the Curator and Native Plants Collection Manager, Emily Ellingson, and the Native Plants Team to maintain, develop and preserve the various represented Kentucky ecoregions, including oak-ash savannah, tallgrass prairies, and riparian zones. Focus will also be placed on restoration ecology in the Arboretum Woods, a 15 acre woodland representing one of the last forest remnants of the inner bluegrass. Interns will have the opportunity to create and complete an intern project based on their interests and the needs of The Arboretum. Individuals will also be given the opportunity to attend relevant events, educational classes and field trips with staff.
• Performs seasonal landscape work including but not limited to: mowing, weeding, watering, mulching, pruning, planting, fertilizing, and other horticultural tasks
• Assists with curatorial activities including plant identification, documentation of plant records, and creating and maintaining plant labels
• Helps scout for pests and diseases
• Operates gardening tools and small equipment safely
• Works with volunteers
• Completes an intern project
• Attends relevant events, educational classes and field trips with staff
*Must adhere to current Covid-19 policies