Carbon Trust (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Associate, Offshore Wind
Contract Term: Permanent
Location: London or Edinburgh
Closing date: 30th August 2021
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and bright individual to join the Carbon Trust and strengthen our research and development programmes in offshore wind and maritime decarbonisation. If you have good project management skills as well as technical knowledge, especially with regards to floating offshore wind, maritime decarbonisation or similar expertise, and an interest in helping develop the latest innovations in floating offshore wind and maritime decarbonisation technology, then we would like to hear from you.
The Carbon Trust’s Offshore Wind Team works with government and large corporate clients in the UK and internationally to help bring offshore wind technologies to market quicker, cheaper and at a greater scale. We manage world renowned and impactful research and development programmes that look to drive down cost of low carbon technologies, such as the Offshore Wind Accelerator (OWA) and the Floating Wind Joint Industry Programme (FLWJIP).
Through these programmes, our team delivers cutting edge research and development in innovative technologies and solutions and accelerates cost reduction in offshore wind, overcomes market barriers, develops industry best practice and triggers the development of new industry standards. Please see for further details.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
You will be part of the Policy and Innovation department, who works in project teams to deliver high quality, high impact advice to clients. The offshore wind team is a friendly and dedicated team within a relatively small company, based primarily in London and Edinburgh but delivering work across the globe. We had a significant impact on the acceleration of the UK and international offshore wind markets, driven by our enthusiastic and knowledgeable team of experts. We learn and support our work within the team, and also in the wider Carbon Trust, and work closely with the energy systems, maritime decarbonisation and policy teams among others.
Main duties and responsibilities:
The focus of this role is to support day-to-day management of the Floating Wind JIP and take a leading role delivering one or more related R&D projects, including within the maritime decarbonisation sector. This involves frequent interaction with industry stakeholders, engagement with contractors and innovators, and responsibilities for the delivery of a number of R&D projects.
The successful candidate is expected to also work across the wider Carbon Trust to provide innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy.
Key tasks for this role include:
• Research and development strategy and management
o Work closely with the Carbon Trust Programme Manager, who is responsible for the respective Joint Industry Programme, to coordinate overall activities
o Work closely with wider industry, liaising with manufacturers, innovators, regulators, to understand challenges and how our Joint Industry Programmes can support innovations to market
o Develop strong relationships with universities and other research agencies to support collaboration
o Get involved in the delivery of other research projects or consultancy work. This could also involve work in Carbon Trust’s Maritime Decarbonisation Team
• Programme management support
o Oversee the delivery of a number of research projects
– Supporting one or more of our Joint Industry Programmes in the management and execution of research projects – including milestone tracking, managing decisions timetable
– Regularly updating project plans and financial tracking tools
– Collating and delivering research updates for senior partners and for other key meetings
– Coordinate activities with the Carbon Trust Programme Manager.
o Contract management
– Ensure all third-party contractors selected for work are performing as expected, on budget and on time, and managing their payments and invoices as appropriate
– Support negotiations of contracts with consultants and coordinate with Carbon Trust’s legal team to ensure they comply with our contracting guidelines.
o Financial processing
– Support the management of project finances including budgeting and forecasting, invoicing, reporting and risk management
– Assist on procuring and contracting technical services – including managing tender evaluation processes (involving the partners in the Joint Industry Programme), negotiating costs, and negotiating Terms & Conditions in collaboration with Carbon Trust’s legal team
• Stakeholder management
o Ensure effective interaction within and between the different Research Areas in the Carbon Trust
o Coordinate press and marketing releases relating to projects, working closely with the internal marketing teams and partner’s teams to maximise press coverage of key updates
o Managing and maintaining all external facing information sharing including websites, press releases, and internal sites
o Representing the Carbon Trust at Partner meetings
o Present at key industry conferences
o General programme management support and the gathering and presentation of management information in support of the Joint Industry programme(s).
• Offshore wind and maritime advisory
o Support the wider advisory work we deliver within the offshore wind and maritime decarbonisation team, which could include projects from Asia to Latin America and the USA, and topics from supply chain development to zero carbon fuel integration.
Key skills we are looking for:
We are interested in hearing from mid-level candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Technical knowledge
o Background in floating offshore wind or maritime decarbonisation preferred
• Project management
o Delivering multi-stakeholder projects either in a leading role or as part of a wider team
• Technical project delivery
o Delivering technical outputs, either for external clients or in-house to achieve clear goals ideally within an offshore wind (or related) context
• Offshore wind development
o Working with a range of stakeholders to support offshore wind development, or a related industry
Qualifications and experience:
• Technical background and relevant experience in offshore wind or the maritime sector preferred
• Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
• Strong IT skills, including proficiency in MS Office (essential). Familiarity with other IT packages such as CRM, SharePoint and Agresso / Unit 4 (desirable)
• Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritise work
• Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
• Strong organisational and planning skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in written and spoken English (essential)
• A desire to be part of the growing momentum to help reduce the impacts of climate change on the planet
• The successful candidate must have unrestricted right to work in the UK
We offer the successful candidate:
• A chance to work on an influential portfolio of offshore wind projects in a mission-driven organisation, in a friendly team environment
• A competitive compensation package and excellent benefits.
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
At the Carbon Trust we offer flexibility around working from home and our employees are able to work from home for half of their weekly working hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us, please click the apply button.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
Please be aware that due to the current situation surrounding Covid-19, interviewing and onboarding processes will take place via video conferencing.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS