Carbon Trust (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Carbon and Energy Consultant
Contract term: Permanent
Closing date: 16th November 2020
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
As part of expansion within the Cities and Regions team at the Carbon Trust, we are looking for an experienced Carbon & Energy Consultant. The successful candidate will work closely with local authorities and other public sector bodies to deliver consultancy-based contracts, related to carbon and energy reduction for cities, regions and public sector organisations.
Our Cities & Regions team offers consultative expertise focused on developing metrics, tools, insights, rationale, and strategic advice to support the public sector on their low carbon journey. The team has worked with over 75% of UK public sector bodies, including more than 400 Local Authorities on numerous activities using appropriate standards and proprietary methods and systems, covering footprinting and climate action strategy. The team provides strategic advice and support across a broad number of areas including:
• Climate change policy and advisory
• Carbon footprinting – organisational and area wide
• Target setting (including science-based targets)
• Emissions forecasting and scenario modelling
• Climate strategy and action plan development, including undertaking feasibility studies and energy assessments
• Stakeholder management and communications
• Monitoring and evaluation
• Project management
The Carbon Trust’s mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Providing technical advice on energy and carbon reduction opportunities for UK and international public sector clients
• Identifying decarbonisation opportunities, including data analysis and undertaking energy surveys and technical/feasibility assessments of buildings, estates and asset reviews e.g. feasibility studies of energy efficiency and renewable energy (such as heat electrification, fabric upgrades, solar PV etc
• Undertaking detailed carbon footprint assessments, including measurement of scope 3 emission sources and assessment of opportunities to reduce upstream and downstream carbon impacts
• Project managing carbon management and climate action planning contracts, supporting the management of larger multi-year programmes, contributing to client workshops and helping public bodies determine their role in delivering climate action locally
• Overseeing and supporting junior members of staff with tasks such as project identification and quantification, carbon footprinting, emissions scenario modelling and target setting.
• Drafting compelling reports, climate action strategies and delivery plans for local government and other public sector bodies
• Supporting business development activities, including leading/supporting engagements with prospective clients such as Local Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs), Universities and NHS bodies, responding to requests for proposals and invitation to tenders
• Working closely with government, industry, funders and interest groups to develop new propositions and inform Carbon Trust’s ongoing work in this field
• Playing an active role in knowledge management across the Carbon Trust, supporting the creation, sharing and management of knowledge and information
• Supporting on other areas of the Carbon Trust’s varied work on climate change where appropriate
This role would suit professionals with experience in client facing carbon and energy consultancy roles, a background in science/engineering and practical project management experience.
Key skills we are looking for:
• Well-developed problem-solving capabilities
• Ability to build and manipulate energy models using MS Excel, and develop technical reports/business cases in MS Word/PowerPoint
• Strong commercial awareness and experience of undertaking business development activities such as building long-term relationships, leading tender responses and drafting proposals and bids
Qualifications and experience:
• Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant field, such as energy, engineering and/or science discipline
• Strong and demonstrable experience as a Carbon & Energy Consultant or Engineer including project management skills
• Demonstrable experience of carbon footprinting/accounting and working with frameworks such as the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi), PAS2070, PAS2060 or similar
• Experienced communicator with excellent written, verbal and presentation skills and an ability to interpret and communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
• Track-record of leading and developing customer relationships
• Understanding of the policy and regulatory context for climate change in the UK and a demonstrable commitment to the Carbon Trust’s mission
• Track record of supporting and/or leading the development of carbon management/climate action strategies and action plans at organisational or regional level, including target setting, scenario modelling, identification and quantification of mitigation and adaptation/resilience measures
• Experience of advising cities, regions or public sector bodies on climate action. A good working knowledge of decision making and business case development in Local Government would be an advantage
• Ability to run workshops and influence local government officers, executives and councillors
• Experience of measurement, reporting and verification for energy efficiency, renewable energy and climate change programmes
• Experience of socio-economic analysis relating to climate action plans, strategies and knowledge of financing solution for climate action
• Experience of supporting and mentoring junior staff
• Some understanding of carbon offsetting and greenhouse gas removals
Our wider Cities & Regions team also delivers work on a wide variety of related fields such as renewable energy, district heating and cooling, energy systems, energy efficiency, low carbon transportation, adaptation/resilience and energy storage – experience in some of these areas would be an advantage.
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please click the apply button.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.