ST MATTHEW ACADEMY
Salary: Inner London MPS/UPS + TLR 1A £8,292
Required: September 2022
Contract/Duration: Permanent, Full Time
Location: SE3 0XX, Blackheath, London Borough of Lewisham
We seek to appoint a committed and ambitious Director of Learning to join our Academy. A rare opportunity has arisen for a teacher to join the SMA pastoral team which includes 5 Directors of Learning, Senior Teacher, Assistant Head (KS3), Deputy Head and a strong team of pastoral support staff. No particular teaching specialism is sought, but it is expected the successfully candidate will take responsibility for our new cohort of 180 Year 7 pupils.
Are you a highly motivated and inspirational teacher who is looking for a new challenge?
Do you have a real passion and desire to enthuse and motivate all pupils to improve on present best?
If yes, then we would like to offer you the opportunity to work with us here at St Matthew Academy, a high performing school where pupils flourish both academically and socially. In October 2019 Ofsted confirmed SMA as a good school where all pupils, through their hard work and commitment, are able to ‘let their light shine’. We are now on the next stage of the journey to becoming a truly great school at the heart of the community we serve. Our primary and secondary phases are situated on one site allowing a truly unique all through setting with opportunities for transition, collegiate working and subject development.
Directors of Learning at SMA are responsible for securing pupils’ rounded development by celebrating successes and providing support in relation to overall academic performance, wider school involvement, and general conduct. The person appointed will be able to deal effectively with staff, parents and outside agencies and lead a team of form tutors and their year group decisively and by example. Applicants should be well qualified, successful teachers with an impressive track record of raising achievement and have a desire for providing high quality pastoral care. This role requires outstanding communication skills, energy and a firm commitment to upholding the academy standards and expectations.
The successful candidate will be:
• Passionate about enabling every child to exceed expectations
• An enthusiastic and successful classroom practitioner
• Able to motivate, challenge and inspire pupils to succeed
• Committed to ensuring high expectations for pupils, staff and themselves
• Well organised, an excellent communicator and keen to take an active role in academy life
• An active promoter of our Catholic ethos
• Able to fully support and drive the Academy’s aim to ensure equality and diversity permeates throughout the Academy
St Matthew Academy is a diverse, vibrant Catholic all-through academy for girls and boys aged 4 to 16, where there are high expectations for everyone in our community. At St Matthew Academy our school motto is ‘let your light shine’ and we ensure that we live this vision every day at the academy by encouraging, promoting and celebrating success with all of our pupils in everything that they do. Our academy is situated between Blackheath and Lewisham in South East London, benefiting from excellent public transport and road links to all parts of London and Kent. Our magnificent buildings offer state of the art resources and the latest technology. Our primary and secondary phases are situated on one site allowing a truly unique all through setting with opportunities for transition, collegiate working and subject development.
• Fantastic pupils with enormous potential
• Staff who are supportive to each other and enjoy working collaboratively
• A personalised programme of professional development and coaching for all staff including access to NPQ qualifications
• A modern building, in a delightful setting and excellent resources
• Excellent public transport and road links across London and Kent
• Fully equipped gym and fitness suite, Season Ticket Loan, Cycle-to-work scheme, Tech Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme
• A strong commitment to staff well-being
We value the importance of diversity in our community and the significance of having staff that are representative of the children we teach. We particularly welcome applications from candidates that are people of colour as these groups are currently under represented within the Academy at leadership level.
Our school motto is ‘let your light shine’ and we ensure that we live this vision every day.
How to apply:
To apply, please request an application form from Ellie Field at or call Ellie on for more information. Your application is a permanent application to our school (not through agency), Hays is our recruitment partner for all permanent appointments.
Closing: 12pm, Thursday 12th May 2022
Interviews: Expected W/B 16th May
For more information about the Academy you can also visit and our Twitter account