Turner & Townsend
Energy and Sustainability Consultant/Senior/Principle Consultant (Housing)
• London, UK
At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realize their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society.
Every day we help our major global clients deliver ambitious and highly technical projects, in over 130 countries worldwide.
Our team is dynamic, innovative and client-focused, supported by an inclusive and fun company culture. Our clients value our proactive approach, depth of expertise, integrity and the quality we deliver. As a result our people get to enjoy working on some of the most exciting projects in the world.
Main job purpose
We are looking for an energy and sustainability specialist with a particular focus on the housing sector.
Our recognised and growing consultancy service is currently focussed on existing stock investment (retrofit). Housing accounts for around 20% of the UK’s carbon emissions, and more than 30% in large cities, so this is a central part of the UK’s net-zero transition. By joining our team you will be working on some of the UK’s leading projects at the forefront of the net-zero carbon agenda.
As part of our team you will initially provide specialist support to social housing providers in two areas:
1. You will support the delivery of the Mayor of London’s flagship programme, the Retrofit Accelerator -Homes. This 3 year consultancy project is pioneering deep and net-zero carbon retrofits, with a remit to stimulate a new market by working at all levels from supply chain to client demand.
We work closely with Energiesprong UK as part of our project team and are currently working supporting some of the UK’s first demonstration size Energiesprong projects.
In this role we provide a mixture of technical, innovation and project management support to clients, helping them to understand deliver innovation projects that aim to set the direction for the UK industry as a whole.
2. Outside the Retrofit Accelerator we are developing net-zero carbon planning and environmental strategies for housing associations and local councils.
This work again combines project management and effective engagement, with an additional focus on data analysis of the energy performance of existing housing stock. Once the strategy is agreed we then aim to support clients in turning these into deliverable projects and programmes, providing advice from procurement and funding to technical approaches.
In this line we work closely with our partners Parity Projects and their data platform for social housing, CROHM.
For both the primary roles above, the successful candidate will need an ability to understand and articulate both the technical approaches to retrofit and the strategic / project management approaches needed to deliver.
You will have the versatility to work across these areas, engaging effectively with clients to help move from strategy, funding and financing decisions through to procurement, delivery and evaluation.
In addition to our housing consultancy we also support public and private buildings to decarbonise and there are opportunities to develop and apply yourself to a full range of other sectors and industries.
Specific Skills and Competencies
• Understanding of the policy context and market drivers/challenges for zero-carbon and environmental sustainability within the public sector (especially housing);
• Experience delivering low carbon retrofit projects and/or programmes in the housing sector
• Ability to understand and articulate the above to support and project manage client progress through the various stages of consultancy, from strategy and planning through to delivery support.
• Ability to review, analyse and benchmark energy performance;
• Ability to identify potential technical solutions;
• Ability to network and work effectively within the housing organisations and the wider public sector to support governance and decision making processes.
• Excellent written and verbal communications and strong administrative and project management skills;
• Proficient and experienced in using MS office software including Outlook, Excel, Word.
• Awareness and understanding of the Energiesprong model for net-zero housing retrofit
• Familiarity with Parity Projects CROHM platform to analyse social housing stock
• Retrofit Coordinator training
• Experience of supporting organisations to secure funding;
• Familiarity with tendering and procurement processes;
• Familiarity with developing business cases for energy efficiency/low carbon projects;
• Applied knowledge of retrofitting standards, practices, funding, delivery methods and technologies (e.g. PAS2035; Retrofit Coordinator);
• Experience developing and implementing energy and sustainability led strategies and investment projects within client organisations (especially housing);
• Suitably qualified in a related subject or appropriate industry experience;
• Experience and understanding of the housing sector, working either in a consultant or client role
• Familiarity and experience in applying new build energy and sustainability standards (desirable);
• Relevant chartership or professional membership (e.g. CIBSE, IEMA, IEE) Retrofit Coordinator, EPC, ESOS and DEC certified (desirable);
Outline of the Team
This role sits within our wider Sustainability Team specialises in in helping to measure, manage and reduce energy consumption and associated carbon emissions, as well as wider environmental sustainability considerations.
In total we run three city region funded accelerator programmes:
– The Mayor of London’s Retrofit Accelerator – Homes (as described above)
– The Mayor of London’s Retrofit Accelerator – Workplaces (focussed on decarbonising public sector corporate estate – previously RE:FIT)
– The West Yorkshire Combined Authority’s Energy Accelerator (decarbonising homes, workplaces and heat networks).
We also provide wider energy and sustainability consultancy to local authorities and commercial businesses, with current commissions including:
• Environmental strategy for an ambitious £1bn retrofit of a major financial centre tower block
• Implementation of management systems including ISO 50001;
• Sustainability assurance to major infrastructure investments.
Responsibilities and behaviours
As an Energy Consultant you are:
• A cooperative team member supporting senior team members in the successful delivery of projects;
• Capable of independently completing tasks and activities and taking responsibility for your own time management and ability to work towards overall project timescales and potentially tight deadlines;
• Expected to support senior team members in business generation activities where required, such as bid writing and developing marketing material;
• Capable of building strong, professional client relationships and identifying and resolving client’s issues;
• Able to analyse information quickly and efficiently, choose or recommend from a range of options and make decisions where the parameters are unclear and judgement needs to be exercised;
• Aside from accepting personal responsibility for the quality and commercial delivery aspects of your work you will be expected to develop skills and share knowledge within the whole consulting practice;
• Well organised and methodical, with attention to detail
T&T is a leading global property consultancy, with around 3,000 employees in the UK and over 6,000 globally. We are a growing organisation with high ambitions and recently ranked number 1 in the Times PWC Top Track 250. This is a dynamic and innovative company, quick to respond to market trends and with a reputation for quality.
You’ll join a talented team with real breadth to make a positive impact on society. We have friendly team culture and strong support to help shape T&T’s wider response to the climate and ecological emergencies. The Sustainability team at T&T is growing quickly, with lots of opportunities for personal development and the potential to make real impact.
Diversity & Inclusion Info
T&T has an inclusive culture with a mix of people and backgrounds and are we are keen to encourage this diversity in bringing new approaches and ideas to clients. We are able to accommodate flexible working patterns where needed and encourage a good work life balance!
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE APPLY NOW BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS