The Big Issue
Based in London
Full or part-time
We are looking for an experienced Finance Director to develop, deliver and monitor our overall financial strategy and budget plans and to provide financial information, analysis and advice to The Big Issue Group, The Big Issue Foundation and boards.
Key responsibilities include:
Take ultimate overall responsibility for the development, delivery and monitoring of the financial strategy and budget plans for Big Issue companies and Charity
Advise on all new business ventures for the Group and Charity
Develop decision-making tools, dashboards and reports to support the management teams in effectively executing the Group’s and the Charity’s strategy and business plans
Develop and provide forecast models of the Group’s and the Charity’s profits, cash flow and balance sheets as required
Liaise with Big Issue Invest management team to support the establishment of open and trusted investor relations
Liaise with Big Issue Foundation Board in supporting the oversight of the Finance committee in terms of charity commission risk, compliance and audit
Support TBI Group Board on matters relating to the capitalisation of the Group, and attend board meetings as required
Manage the Finance leadership team, setting priorities and objectives and offering support, motivation, guidance and training
Manage the relationship with the group’s and the Foundation’s auditors and ensure recommendations are acted upon
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Professionally fully qualified accountant
Member of an accountancy body recognised by the IFAC
Working at director level
Strategic thinking and a commercial approach
Developing forecasting models
Financial accounting and accounting standards
Taxation and other relevant legislation
Salary and Benefits include:
• Salary commensurate with the third sector, which can be confirmed on request.
• Incremental holiday entitlement starting at 25 days per year plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time staff) plus paid leave to care for a sick child or grandchild and a sick or elderly relation
• Incremental sick pay starting at 5 days per rolling year
• Enhanced contribution to our workplace pension
• Enhanced maternity/paternity pay
• Comprehensive flexible working policy open to all staff
• Training and development opportunities including an open learning library and management training schemes
• Health benefits include life cover, a health Cashplan scheme which provides access to counselling and a range of therapies
Please note that we reserve the right to review and amend our staff benefits and they do not form part of any contract of employment.
This role will be based at our Head Office in London, with the possibility of some remote working.
Closing date: 6 September 2021
The Big Issue Group is striving towards Equal Opportunities
We particularly welcome applications from those who are underrepresented in our sector, such as women in senior roles, and people with disabilities and from Black and Minority Ethnic communities.
Since 1991, The Big Issue has fought poverty by creating opportunities and supporting people to take control of their lives. Over time our organisation has grown and now The Big Issue Group consists of The Big Issue Company Ltd and Big Issue Invest Ltd (our social investment arm). In addition, we also have our sister charity The Big Issue Foundation.