The Norwegian brand Tom Wood is well known for its distinctive yet understated jewellery followed by a ready-to-wear line in 2016. Always focusing on the purity of materials and minimal design, Tom Wood is to be found at over 200 of the leading retailers world wide, such as Selfridges and Dover Street Market in London, Kith and Totokaelo in NYC, Rare Market and Boon the Shop in Seoul, and Lane Crawford in Hong Kong and Shanghai. In Japan Tom Wood works together with high end department stores such as Isetan and Hankyu, as well as independent retailers and concept stores like Dover Street Market and United Arrows & Sons.
The Head of Design Ready to Wear works directly with the Creative Director to secure the overall direction of the ready to wear collections at Tom Wood, making sure that that every single product within the collection reflects the creative vision and aesthetic of the brand.
– Responsible for Tom Woods Ready to Wear collections including the entire design process. This includes management of the design and production team and the creative process from start to end: defining concepts; inspirations, researching themes, colors, materials, fabrics, trims, print stories, market research, designing, sketching and fit.
– Preparing collections to the highest standard
– Work with the Creative Director and Sales Director to develop concepts and collections that would meet the business objective of the brand
– Work together with the Creative Director and design team to define the styles that will be sketched and put into development each season
– Ensuring designs have commercial appeal, and that every product meets the company’s profitability target.
– Ensuring all technical drawings, make descriptions, trims, fabric and measurements are accurate in specs for each garment in collaboration with the design and production team.
– Manage and oversee fittings of the collections in-house and manage the in-house team to support in these
– Coordinate and manage together with the designers and production managers our manufacturing partners to control the sampling process for each collection and ensure each collections’ coherence to the overall brand direction
– Ensuring all new fabric and trims are ordered by the product managers each season and are delivered on time
– Ensuring the fabric file is kept up to date with all swatches and price lists
– Ensuring design and production team are efficient to create savings and report budgets and weekly progress to Creative Director
– Managing special projects/exclusives
– Managing the critical path for the collections from start to finish.
The ideal candidate:
– Qualification in Fashion Design with a focus on high end/luxury menswear and womenswear
– Minimum of 5+ years of senior experience and expertise across design, product and studio management
– You have extensive experience of high end /luxury Ready to Wear Design and proven experience of design team management
– Strong leadership experience with the ability to set process and manage expectations and priorities
– Well connected with suppliers, manufacturers, freelancers and developers who you know and trust to introduce to the brand
– Excellent experience in developing, organization and sampling; working with developers and suppliers internationally
– You have an excellent knowledge of designing with an excellent taste level and within a range of price points
– Exceptional technical knowledge and able to communicate effectively and clearly your ideas
– You are motivated and have a passion for what you do
– Knowledge of art, design, fashion, and trends
– You have an intrinsic knowledge of the high-end contemporary market on an international level
– You have strong computer skills and are experienced in working in Photoshop, Illustrator and Excel
– You have an unparalleled attention to detail on all that you deliver
– You are proactive approachable and professional and have excellent interpersonal skills to represent the brand to outside partners and suppliers in a way that will build a strong long-lasting relationship
English, Native or bilingual proficiency