We have an exciting opportunity for an in-house Legal Counsel to join the Legal team at The London Clinic.
Established in 1932, The London Clinic is one of the UK’s largest private hospitals, with state-of-the-art facilities located around Harley Street. Our annual turnover is circa £155M, and we have approx. 1300 employees across 8 sites, where we cover a broad range of specialisms, including complex medical and surgical procedures and a comprehensive range of cancer and outpatient services.
Working within a friendly, busy, small in-house legal team, the Legal Counsel will be negotiating, drafting and amending a wide variety of clinical and non-clinical commercial contracts and agreements. You will also be providing guidance on commercial matters to the wider business.
* Job Type: This is a full-time, permanent position working 37.5 hours per week. Hybrid working available.
* Salary: Competitive, to be discussed pre-interview stage.
* Location: 1 Park Square West, London, NW1 4LJ
* Benefits package:
Contributory pension scheme (total annual contribution up to 20%).
Private Medical Healthcare.
33 day’s annual leave (Inclusive of bank holidays).
Season ticket travel loan, family friendly benefits, and a wide range of discounts with a variety of retailers/services, plus much more.
We also offer excellent career development; with clear career pathways and access to further education.
Duties & Responsibilities
* Handle a wide range of commercial contracts including NHS contracts, PMI contracts, supply of goods and services, consultancy services (clinical/non-clinical), IT Contracts (SaaS, IaaS, software licenses, maintenance agreements, hardware agreements), clinical trial agreements, data sharing/transfer agreements, international referral/partnership agreements from drafting through to negotiation and finalisation. Work to minimise risk and manage any disputes that arise as a result of breach of contract.
* Work closely with colleagues to draft and negotiate effective agreements that align with our strategy and values, as well as seek and facilitate appropriate approval for the execution of agreements.
* Collaborate cross functionally with other functions across the Hospital including InfoSec, IT, Estates, HR as well as the Clinical teams.
* Establish and maintain excellent working relationships within the organisation to ensure that legal advice is consistently delivered to colleagues when needed.
* Manage relationships with external stakeholders such as suppliers, external legal counsel and industry regulators.
* Advise the business with regards to changes in legislation that affect the Hospital , its clients and industries and advise on ad hoc legal matters from trade mark disputes, to competition law CMA Order compliance to the Telecommunications code.
* Assist with tenders and responses to tenders, as well as assisting the Senior Legal Counsel on other matters when required.
* Draft, review and update Clinic policies, procedures, and contract templates
* Work as part of an incredibly supportive team to deliver the Hospital’s shared vision and strategy.
Skills & Experience
* Qualified lawyer with post qualification experience in commercial contracts.
* In-house legal experience, ideally within a charity, hospital, healthcare, or highly regulated setting.
* Excellent drafting skills with excellent communication in order to manage internal and external client relationships effectively.
* Due to the busy and varied nature of the role, it is essential that you are experienced in a wide range of commercial contracts as you will have a fair degree of autonomy in this role.
* Strong organisational skills with an eye for and attention to detail, as well as the ability to deal efficiently with and appropriately priorities a large number of administrative issues and matters.
We are an organisation that has charitable status and this helps us to drive forward our mission of reinvesting our income to deliver better patient outcomes.
The London Clinic’s main hospital spans 8 floors comprising of 234 beds and 10 theatres, including a Hybrid theatre and two minimally invasive and day surgery theatres. Speciality areas include, General surgery; ENT; Gynae; Hepatobiliary; Neuro; Ophthalmic; Orthopaedic; Plastics; Robotic; Urology; Vascular & Bariatric surgery.
The London Clinic is proud of its diverse workforce and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We absolutely welcome applicants from underrepresented groups; if you think you have the skills and experience for the job, please apply – we would love to hear from you regardless of your background