Carbon Trust (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Manager, Cities & Regions
Contract Term: Permanent
Location: London, Cardiff or Edinburgh (with some travel within the UK and internationally)
Closing date: 20th August 2021
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
To help us to drive transformational change across Cities & Regions, the Carbon Trust is looking to recruit a Manager to help complement its breadth of expertise in area-wide climate action planning. A key aspect of this role will involve leading the economic aspects of our offering to this client base. This exciting role will help us to put climate change at the very heart of the future cities agenda and to further expand our low carbon cities proposition.
Cities have a vital role to play in leading the way to a low carbon economy; they consume over two-thirds of the world’s energy, and are responsible for 70 percent of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. So an important aspect of our mission is to provide essential technical and strategic low carbon advisory support to cities and regions around the world.
Our Cities & Regions team support local and regional authorities, and other public bodies, to develop long term decarbonisation plans and programmes from concept to commercialisation. We help our clients to determine their role in the delivery of local energy schemes, de-risk investment opportunities and shape net zero programmes that secure stakeholder support and deliver local benefits.
One key strand of this activity relates to area-wide climate action planning activities, working with local and regional authorities to develop plans for achieving net zero in response to the climate emergency, delivering activities including carbon footprinting, science-based target setting, future energy system modelling, economic analysis, action plan development and stakeholder engagement.
The Carbon Trust’s mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Lead or support multi-disciplinary project delivery teams for the delivery of area-wide climate action strategies and plans with regional and local authorities in the UK and internationally
• Lead on the delivery of economic analysis underpinning area-wide climate action plans, including but not limited to: developing quantitative and qualitative research methodologies, applying economic frameworks to analytical problems, cost benefit assessments and economic impact analysis
• Support the delivery of analysis and advice to cities and regions around area-wide climate action planning, including but not limited to: carbon footprinting, setting net zero and science-based targets, future energy system modelling, economic analysis, action plan development and stakeholder engagement
• Work in collaboration with partners, subcontractors and consortia members in the delivery of multi-disciplinary climate action projects
• Contribute to business development through the preparation of tender responses and fee proposals
• Develop, manage and maintain excellent client relationships
• Contribute to proposition development for cities and regions
• Contribute to internal capacity building through effective knowledge management and training
Key skills we are looking for:
• Excellent quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills, including a proficient use of MS Excel
• Strong project management and proposal writing skills, including team leadership, scheduling and budget/resource management
• Ability to work effectively in a complex, multi-disciplinary environment
• Excellent client management skills, applying a high standard of interpersonal skills to understand client needs, build and maintain productive relationships, and influence decision making
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral), with the ability to present technical information in a clear and concise format, suitable for non-specialists
• Adept at problem solving, including bringing innovative ideas into client discussions and proposition development
Qualifications and experience:
• Degree educated (or equivalent), in a numerate discipline, e.g. economics, finance, engineering or a relevant field
• Demonstrable experience of delivering economic analysis using a range of tools, such as cost-benefit analysis
• Experience of developing and delivering climate change mitigation and emissions reduction strategies
• Experience of or strong interest in low carbon cities and regions
• Experience of delivering low carbon consultancy support to the local government sector, and understanding of the drivers and barriers affecting local action on net zero
• Experience of economic development
• Experience supporting the development of local/regional strategic economic plans
• Experience supporting City/Growth Deals
• Understanding of Green Book requirements
• Experience of undertaking GHG emissions inventories for cities and regions in line with the GHG Protocol for community-scale emission inventories (GPC)
• Experience with big data, and the analysis of large data sets
• Insight into carbon and energy policy in the UK and internationally
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
At the Carbon Trust we offer flexibility around working from home and our employees are able to work from home for half of their weekly working hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please click the apply button.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
Please be aware that due to the current situation surrounding Covid-19, interviewing and onboarding processes will take place via video conferencing.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS