Carbon Trust (The GreenJobs Network of Websites)
PLEASE MENTION THE GREENJOBS NETWORK OF WEBSITES WHEN APPLYING TO THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Renewable Energy Consultant
Contract Term: Permanent
Location: London or Cardiff, with travel across the UK; possibly some international travel (infrequent)
Closing date: 9th September 2021
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
We are seeking an experienced Consultant with expertise in the development of renewable energy projects to join our Programmes and Innovations team in our London or Cardiff office. This position requires previous client facing experience and may suit professionals with a consultancy or developer background.
In particular, we are looking for candidates that have significant technical and/or commercial expertise across the Renewable Energy sector.
The Carbon Trust’s mission is to accelerate the move to a sustainable, low carbon economy. We are independent experts on carbon reduction and resource efficiency, who reinvest surpluses from group commercial activities into our mission.
The Carbon Trust provides innovative advice to governments and businesses around the world to support the global transition to a low carbon economy. We work closely with decision makers and implementers in key institutions in the UK and across multiple emerging and developing countries on low-carbon finance, programmes, policy and technology.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Deliver high quality consultancy services on renewable energy topics, in particular to public sector clients;
• Develop, manage and maintain excellent client relationships; establish client drivers and needs in relation to the low carbon agenda to inform, influence and overcome barriers to strategic renewable energy activities;
• In conjunction with the rest of the technical team, manage renewable energy projects across key stages of project development, including:
o Identifying new opportunities, through strong partnership working and stakeholder engagement
o Undertaking technical appraisals of opportunities to identify project-specific risks and opportunities
o Using the results of the technical appraisals to identify key steps to bring projects to fruition, and helping clients to take those steps
o Taking the outputs of technical reviews and feasibility studies and developing them into high quality business cases
o Supporting clients in navigating client approval processes to progress projects and secure organisational buy in
o Supporting clients in identifying project delivery routes, and assisting them in identifying potential funding streams and business models
o Supporting clients to liaise with the local Distribution Network Operator to identify and secure optimal grid connection solutions
o Engaging and influencing senior level decision makers to commit to implementing and financing decarbonisation projects
o Supporting procurement of projects including establishing procurement channels, developing specifications / invitation to tender (ITT) documentation, guiding clients through procurement processes (specific expertise regarding procurement of large-scale projects is desirable)
o Providing project management support to clients
• Support more junior members of the team to develop their expertise in renewable energy project development and client support
• Identify new and innovative decarbonisation opportunities to build a multi-year pipeline of projects for clients
• Support Carbon Trust business development activities and revenue generation, including supporting development of new business propositions within the renewable energy space
Other duties associated with the Carbon Trust’s mission will be requested on an ad hoc basis.
Key skills we are looking for:
• Organised and efficient with excellent project management skills
• Strong technical/commercial skills, and track record of successful project delivery
• Excellent client management and stakeholder engagement skills, applying a high standard of interpersonal skills to build client relationships and influence stakeholders
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral), with the ability to present technical information in a clear and concise format, suitable for non-specialists
• Highly numerate with good Excel skills
• Ability to develop a strong business case for investment in renewable energy projects
• Ability to lead client meetings and workshop sessions
• Problem solving and identification/specification of solutions
• Ability to work effectively on multiple concurrent projects in a complex team environment, including as a project team member and as project leader, taking initiative and delivering projects independently when required
Qualifications and experience:
• Degree calibre – qualified in a relevant energy, engineering, science or business discipline
• Previous client facing experience, in consultancy, project management or project development for renewable energy projects
• Ability to create and manipulate commercial models for renewable energy using MS Excel, and develop business cases in MS Word / PowerPoint
• Experience of using GIS and other relevant software packages to undertake project appraisals
• Good understanding of renewable energy procurement processes, including public sector
• Ability to communicate technical information fluently (both written and spoken) in English
• Knowledge and experience of the G99 grid connection process either as a developer or consultant
• Experience of delivering projects through public and private sector approvals processes and business case stages
• Insight into carbon and energy policy in Wales, the UK and internationally
• Knowledge and experience of the G100 grid connection process either as a developer or consultant
• Knowledge and experience of developing energy storage projects
• Experience of developing energy efficiency projects
• Ability to identify and support business development opportunities
• Membership of a relevant professional institution
• Full driving license
• Welsh speaking
Understanding of and support for the Carbon Trust’s mission is considered an essential pre-requisite for this role.
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
At the Carbon Trust we offer flexibility around working from home and our employees are able to work from home for half of their weekly working hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us, please follow the link to our application page and submit your CV and a cover letter.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience. We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
Please be aware that due to the current situation surrounding Covid-19, interviewing and onboarding processes will take place via video conferencing.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS