Ricardo Energy & Environment
Role : Senior Economist – Environmental Policy
Salary: 35-45,000 + benefits
Location: London, Bristol, Manchester or Madrid with flexibility for home working within the UK and Spain.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, environmental, climate change and chemical risk expertise with strong IT, data science and economics capability. Ricardo is held in very high regard by our clients for the in-depth sector insight we demonstrate, our passion for delivering quality, and our reputation for producing innovative solutions. We are acutely aware of the importance of our role in safeguarding and enhancing our environment and fully believe in our mission to create a world fit for the future.
The Environmental Policy team at Ricardo works with governmental and private sector organisations on the development, implementation and evaluation of environmental policies, strategies and plans. The team predominately supports public sector clients such as national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies (e.g. the World Bank). We deliver high-profile studies in areas that include industrial pollution control, air and water quality, chemicals management, climate adaptation, sustainable finance and the circular economy. Economic analysis is a critical component of the services we provide.
In response to our recent successes we are expanding our Environmental Policy team: we have a vacancy for a Senior Economist to work on a range of exciting and innovative projects.
Working in multi-disciplinary teams, you will help to win, manage and deliver high profile projects that play an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in Europe and worldwide.
You will use your technical skills to provide insights to support policy decisions, and to analyse the impact of decisions on the economy, the environment and society.
You will be involved in policy impact assessments, requiring skills in cost-benefit analysis, socio-economic analysis, feasibility assessment and evaluation. We expect you to understand the processes for development of public policy and the methods for assessing the social, environmental and economic impacts of policies and measures.
Required competencies and experience
* Qualified to at least Master’s degree level in economics – studies could be a combination of economics with related subject, including: engineering and science and/or environment with a significant focus on economics
* At least 5 years of relevant experience within consultancy, government, research or industry
* An understanding of environmental issues, and national/EU/international policy, gained during studies or work experience
* The capacity and interest to work flexibly across a range of thematic areas and projects simultaneously and successfully juggle multiple competing priorities
* Highly numerate, with a track record in carrying out complex quantitative analysis
* Demonstrable experience in some of the following
* Economic theory and policy cycle (ex ante impact assessment of policies and regulations; policy development and implementation, ex post evaluation of policies and programmes)
* Tools and methods: economic and/or financial modelling, data collection, validation and analysis, qualitative economic analysis, multi-criteria analysis
* Can effectively lead key tasks, setting technical direction and effectively delegating to draw in resources to deliver work effectively and efficiently
* Fluency in English (and Spanish if based in Spain) and excellent report writing skills
Desirable competencies and experience
* Previous experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for international organisations and/or European Commission and/or national governments
* Project management experience
* Understanding of and track record in how to write winning proposals
* Proficiency in using statistical or mathematical software
* Understanding of structural economic modelling, Input – Output analysis, international trade theory, experience with optimization, e.g. General Algebraic Modelling, would be of interest.
* Experience and knowledge of nature-based solutions policy agenda, and the application of economics in this context. In particular, the estimation and monetisation of benefits (e.g. environmental, social, economic) of nature based solutions.
* Fluency in other European languages
Skills and behaviours
The ideal candidate will:
* demonstrate a passion for the drive to create a more sustainable world, and a clear motivation to work for Ricardo and align with its values
* enjoy solving complex analytical problems that feature economic analysis
* demonstrate exceptional critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
* have excellent communication skills, both written and oral
* come to work with flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
* be accurate and attentive to detail
* be an effective and proactive team worker
This is a stimulating, exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our people. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our people are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message from our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.