This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Location Channel 4, 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX
Closing Date 17 February 2019 at Midnight
Job Title: Trading Executive (12 mth FTC)
Contract: 12 month maternity cover contract
Reports to: Trading Account Manager
Department: Agency Sales
C4 is owned by the public and fully funded by advertising, so maximising revenue which can be invested back on screen is paramount. Each year the 4Sales team generate over £1billion of advertising revenue, across spot, sponsorship and partnerships that is then used to produce the high quality, innovative and entertaining programming that our viewers love so much. Our commercial strategy focuses on three key areas – innovation, distinctiveness and diversity – to build successful and enduring relationships with advertisers. We’ve been voted Campaign Sales Team of the Year for 3 years in a row and helped deliver C4 its highest ever commercial revenues in 2016.
The Trading team is responsible for maximising revenue on a sustainable basis across all of the Sales House’s TV channels and other sales propositions. Their business is mostly conducted through ad agencies where they compete for business with ITV, Five, Sky and others, with them all vying to take the highest possible share of advertisers’ TV and other advertising budgets.
The Trading Executive provides sales support to the Trading Account Manager in their pursuit of share growth and revenue generation. This will include the negotiation of short term advertising deals and providing administrative support to the Trading Account Manager and Agency Investment Lead.
• A point of contact for agency airtime trading requests: a client-facing role developing and maintaining effective relationships with agencies
• Identify and target growth areas within the sales group’s portfolio. Works with trading managers, research and other members of the sales group to successfully deliver such growth.
• Running day to day administrative systems and providing procedural support to the Trading Account Manager and Agency Investment Lead.
• Maintains sales group revenue status records by agency in conjunction with and under the guidance of Trading Manager
• Coordinates and maintains sales group’s agency knowledge in respect of airtime trading, covering “Brands not Carried”, wins/losses etc. Providing a monthly report to the Trading Account Manager and Agency Investment Lead.
• Provides weekly trading and market reports internally and to the agencies, e.g. pricing and audience performance.
• Generates deal letters under the guidance of the Trading Manager summarising the terms of deal contracts.
• Distributes deal letters to relevant agency sales team members.
Technical & Professional Skills
• Excellent sales administration and negotiating skills
• An understanding and proficiency in the in-house sales and reporting systems, and Microsoft Excel up to intermediate standard.
• A thorough understanding of airtime optimisation to maximise revenue with minimal wastage.
• A reasonable understanding of industry guidelines and regulations (OFCOM, BCAP, Clearcast).
• A thorough knowledge of the market place and all Channel 4 / Third Party programming required in order to identify late sales opportunities.
• The job holder is expected to keep abreast of pricings, general media/sales trends
• Job is completed under the guidance of the sales group Trading Account Manager
• Workload priorities are set in the context of achieving the primary job purpose
• This role primarily provides support to the Trading Account Manager and Agency Investment Lead, consequently the job holder must hold high levels of self-motivation.
• Resolving deal interpretation issues under guidance of portfolio Trading Account Manager E.g. Contractual commitments, deal exclusions and legislating for any agency new business wins and/or losses.
• Deals are complex and involve whole of Channel 4 output – components include price, length of contract, cultural and PR issues, conflicts of interest (both internal and external) that are usually familiar to jobholder. Job deliverables includes data analysis and accurate record keeping that informs strategic decisions
Business Impact/Strategic Perspective
• Works under the guidance and authority of the trading team and Agency Principal on a portfolio worth c£160m p.a.
• Maintains records which informs strategic decision making
• Brings influence and direct input to the generation of airtime revenue
• Must act in full compliance with OFCOM regulatory frameworks
Essential Experience and Skills
• Experience of working in advertising sales
• Excellent numerical ability
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Intermediate Excel Skills
• Highly organised
• Excellent attention to detail
• Experience of building relationships quickly
• Experience of working to deadlines
Desirable Experience and Skills
• Negotiation skills
• Experience of working within TV sales
Full Role Description Further information
Celebrating diversity is at the heart of Channel 4’s purpose both on-screen and off-screen. Being different is therefore at our core – and we know that recruiting talent from diverse backgrounds encourages our workforce to be vibrant, creative and think differently. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively recruit from groups that are under-represented in the media sector. So we welcome difference be it ethnicity, religion, age, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
We have won awards from Stonewall for our work on screen and in the workplace, we are a member of the Business Disability Forum, and we are signed up as a Disability Confident employer with the Department of Work & Pensions. Channel 4 also won the company National Diversity Award – 2016. At the end of 2016 Channel 4 was awarded the National Equality Standard by EY, the only company ever to be placed at the highest level ‘Institutionlised Inclusion’.
We understand that disabled people might have concerns about being discriminated against if they declare their disability when applying for a job. If that’s you then don’t worry – we will judge you on your abilities and fit against the job description. We are happy to discuss with you any adjustments you need to give you a level playing field during recruitment and then, if you’re made an offer, we can then discuss with you the adjustments you might need to get on with the job and develop your career. Furthermore we can offer a guaranteed interview to any disabled applicant who meets the essential skills or experience listed above.
Let us know what kind of work you’re passionate about and we’ll notify you when matching career opportunities become available.
Channel Four Television Corporation 2019