We are recruiting individuals with a scientific background who are interested in developing an exciting career in the patent profession. This is a unique opportunity, offering excellent training and career development prospects, to join an international, future facing law firm and Band 1 ranked team.
CMS is a Future Facing firm. With 75 offices in 43 countries and 4,800+ lawyers worldwide, we combine deep sector understanding with a global overview, giving us the ability not only to see what’s coming, but to shape it.
CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. Our bold approach to a changing future ensures that we nurture our employees and recruit top talent.
About the Role
We are recruiting Trainee Patent Attorneys to join our market-leading Intellectual Property team in London, in Autumn 2022.
You will be provided with ongoing training and development whilst studying for your Certificate in Intellectual Property and subsequently, your UK and/or European Patent exams. You will work alongside experienced colleagues and leaders in their field who will guide you through the varied aspects of international patent law and how to apply these to meet your clients’ needs.
Responsibilities will include:
– assisting in the drafting and filing of patent applications;
– patent prosecution at the European Patent Office (EPO) and the UK Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO);
– EPO opposition and appeal work; and
– involvement in freedom to operate opinions, IP due diligence and litigation.
Our Intellectual Property group is one of the largest teams in Europe for patent and trade mark work. Our qualified patent attorneys work alongside our IP, litigation, corporate and commercial lawyers. This offering makes us a rarity in the market as we are a full-service law firm able to provide a fully integrated service for all stages in the IP life cycle.
Our IP clients include global pharma and biotechs as well as numerous SMEs and start-ups.
We are looking for candidates with a strong academic record in Life Sciences (Biotechnology), particularly biochemistry or biology. In addition, the ideal candidate will:
– have a Masters and/or PhD in a relevant field and/or have industry experience;
– be self-motivated and interested in further developing their knowledge of IP law and patent prosecution work;
– be proactive in undertaking a wide range of work, across diverse technical and legal areas;
– have excellent attention to detail and organisational skills, with experience working under pressure towards tight deadlines whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy;
– be flexible in their attitude and an effective team player, willing to collaborate and build professional relationships across all levels; and
– have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
At CMS, a next-generation mindset is woven into all we do. We’re diverse, supportive and inclusive, embracing our corporate social responsibility and creating a culture of sustainability in which every one of our people, whatever their background, can maximise their potential and thrive.
For further information about CMS’ diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
Please apply online or contact a member of the Talent Acquisition team if you have any questions. For information regarding our competitive range of benefits please visit our Rewards & Benefits page on our website.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.